There are many reasons why some people don’t set goals. I guess everyone did experience this in their own life or observed it in others.
Reasons why people don’t set goals:
– nobody taught them (not even in school) the power and value of goal setting. They can’t use this tool, because they don’t know about it
Goal setting is a tool that helps you step by step achieving what you want.
– they don’t have a reason. First you have to really know what you want and then you can use goals to help getting it
– they don’t know how to use it. Some people think that they have goals, but in actual fact they have just wishes.
– fear help us, but it can also be paralysing. We often have to overcome some fears when we set goals: for example fear of failure, fear of the unknown, fear of rejection.
If we don’t overcome these fears we only produce mediocre results or we don’t set goals at all.
– people are disorganized or too busy or too stressed and they come up with excuses why they can’t set goals right now. They don’t want new challenges.
Have you ever said to yourself: “I will set some goals later when I have more time, right now I am too busy or I don’t feel like it.”
The key is: you have to MAKE time for goal setting – it doesn’t just happen!
Question for you:
???Why don’t you set goals???
I can tell you why I sometimes don’t set goals: cause I feel so overwhelmed. Sometimes when I read a book or talk with inspiring people I think: I really have to set more goals for myself. I know that goal setting helps me a lot and that I can achieve a lot when I focus my energy!
But sometimes I get frustrated, because I am a person that goes from 0 to 100%. Either I do nothing or I do everything at once =)
My trap is: I have so many ideas what I want to do and then I start setting too many goals. And then I realize it doesn’t work and I get frustrated.
I learned in the past years: it’s better to have just a few goals but really focus on them. I have to start small and then gradually build up. That is the secret!
I want to encourage you to start SMALL. Just start with ONE small “warm up” goal and follow through from beginning to end – try to reach your goal in a few weeks or months. When you reached your firsts goal then you can start to pursue one or two larger goals.
With time you will be able to pursue one or two large goals in every important area of your life without feeling overwhelmed.
It is like my exercise. I started slowly with the Pilates gymnastics. Many years ago I started it when I was on vacation. The first time I did it I couldn’t do all the exercises on the DVD. But slowly I got better and better and after a while it was quite easy.
This is like goal setting. You cannot go from 0 to 100 right away. It takes time!
??? What is ONE goal you want to reach in the next weeks, months ???